Our Back Bone
- Ingredients must be as natural as possible, and sophisticated. We want the best that modern, responsible, natural chemistry can produce.
- Any ingredient that is not fully natural must be naturally derived, non-toxic, biodegradable and serve a very distinct purpose that cannot be achieved with a natural ingredient alone. An example of this is using curcumin instead of turmeric, because it is the active extract, and must go through a laboratory extraction, and have an emulsifier. We use minute concentrations of Butylene Glycol (not to be mistaken with propylene glycol) to emulsify Turmeric extract.
- Concentrations of active ingredients will meet or exceed current data for efficacy. No ingredient shall be included just for claim's sake. (such my pet peeve!)
- No parabens, phthalates, DEAs, MEAs, or TEAs, or any other useless, toxic ingredient.
- No citrus oil. (Citrus oils may cause hyper-pigmentation. I don't want that risk for myself or you!)
- All oils must be cold-pressed to preserve abundant goodness, and essential oils must be steam-distilled.
- Honey, which we use a lot of, will be from properly managed apiaries in USA to protect our precious bees.
- Ingredients must be from fairly-traded sources whenever possible, and with increasing regularity, and must be harvested in manners which protect sources.
- No GMOs.
- Ingredients should be organic when possible, or from sources which have been investigated to be responsible.
- Fragrance: BijaBody does not support the use of ingredients which are threatened or where the harvesting of the plant endangers biodiversity or causes environmental issues. We adheres to IFRA standards, a self-governing organization that sets safety standards for all natural and non-natural aroma compounds. Our fragrances are free of phthalates, and are comprised primarily of natural and botanical oils.
- Manufacturing, Packaging and Printing must be sourced from USA companies. Made and printed on home turf. (surprisingly not easy!)
- Our guiding principle: BijBody will ultimately source as many ingredients as possible from women run, women owned agricultural cooperatives in impoverished regions of the world. Until more of these sources exist, we will continue to ask, plead and beg for them. In the meantime, we will continue our search for farmer-focused ingredient sources (which has proven to be a pain in the rear end!) We will launch with a minimum 1% fair-trade, and increase exponentially as our buying power increases. 1% of proceeds will go towards building up resources through RootedinBeauty.
- Our bottom line is what we ultimately create, support, protect and enhance.